Sunday, August 12, 2012

6 days & still going strong!!

     So it's been six days now of clean eating and I have had one slip up, one tiny Skittle leaped out of my candy jar at work...and oops, in it went! Oh well, before I pry would have eaten the whole dang jar before the first bell rang!! 
     It has been very easy to maintain.  I am much more mindful of the foods we are purchasing and read just about every label.  My husband has been helping out looking up recipes and being a bit more mindful.  I haven't made my whole family take the plunge, just me and Elin my almost 1 y/o. Really because I make her food everyday so she gets what I give her.  I think after the start of September when the boys are both in K/PreK it will be a full force adventure.  I am still having struggles with convincing the dear husband that school lunches are atrocious!!! Did anyone else watch the HBO documentaries in which one episode focused on that?? I think its called The Weight of the Nation.  Ugh we do a real disservice to our school children!! 
     I have made several recipes and if you can believe it have stuck to our menu plan.  One in particular that I just love is the homemade granola.  Nothing better than granola atop some plain greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey! Yummy!!  I had to adapt this recipe to fit my liking and that of what I actually had in the pantry.  
 



Homemade Granola 

3 1/2 cups rolled oats 
2 cups almonds 
1 cup sunflower seeds 
2 tsp cinnamon 
1 1/2 tsp ginger 
1/2 tsp allspice 
6 Tbl butter (unsalted) 
1/2 C honey 
1 tsp vanilla 

Preheat the oven to 250.  Line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or crisco/flour topper. 
In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients together. 
Melt the butter and honey in the microwave and mix thoroughly.  Add the vanilla.
Add the mixture to your dry ingredients.  
Stir well to make sure your oats get a little moist.  
Spread out on the baking sheet. Cook for 1 hour.  
Let cool and break apart.  Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment